Monday, April 17, 2006

Past & Present

When I started this site I said that one thing I wanted to do was plug the efforts of more succesful and/or interesting friends and I've been falling down on the job so here is a meandering intro and a couple of plugs...

Many moons ago I was in a band. It even had an ancient web site!
When you're in a band you always have people trying to tell you who you sound like and we certainly heard interesting comparisons. Two totally separate people on two totally separate occasions mentioned The Replacements.
Now, no one in the band listened to The Replacements at all.
In fact, aside from being able to maaaaybe name Paul Westerberg, I doubt I could have told you anything about The 'Mats at all. Sad, right?

Well, since that time I have acquired an appreciation for the band. As for how much we sounded like them...I'm proud to say that we shared something of their spirit; a fun, pop-inspired but ever-so-slightly punky, ragged rock and roll. Having come to enjoy their music it's quite an honour to have been compared to them (as opposed to, say, Pearl Jam who - no offence - had nothing musically do to do with us).

The point of all this is that after years of hating each other the band has reunited to record two tracks for a greatest hits CD that comes out in June. Since all I have are shitty MP3s, I will be buying this baby on day one.

Anyway, one band alumn, Perry Perlmutar, is doing quite well for himself as a laugh-extractor. I meant to plug his co-headlining gig at The Laugh Resort the other week. Luckily I was able to make it down and see him handle this guy - who wasn't so much a heckler as a drunken buffoon - with aplomb.

He is also a star of stage and screen probably best known as "Guy in Toilet" in The Tuxedo, with Jackie Chan.

Now he's off to the prestigious Halifax Comedy Festival next week so, um, go see him!

More band alum - the Fantabulously Famous Wiskin Brothers - will be hitting the stage at the Gypsy Co-Op this Friday, April 21. The band used to be called Auxiliary aka Guitarbus (don't ask) and is now called The Macrofunction aka Guitarbus which I'm not entirely sure is an improvement. NONETHELESS, they are fun and funky and I'm going to try to go because they've been in hiding for a bit. It's good to see em out and playing again.

They're not afraid to make their presence known on the web so seek more info here, or here...


Am I, in fact, the least succesful person I know? Time will tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home