Tuesday, March 21, 2006

MTV Canada: Shit on the Pile

There are so many things about MTV Canada that are stupid or otherwise bizarre, it's hard to know where to start. Here are just a few basics.

-There used to be an MTV Canada. No one cared.

-Muchmusic's programming is 85% MTV these days anyway. Anything that once distinguished them (and made Much 10x cooler) is now history. I don't know what a 60 minute show about Donald Trump's extravagant lifestyle has to do with, say, how Arcade Fire is bustin' up the world but...maybe that's just me.

-The new MTV is more about talking than music. It's just a brand. They could have called it Nike TV if they wanted.

They launched today and as I flicked by channel 59 I saw Chad Kroeger introducing the video for Photograph. Way to get on my double-shit list, MTV.

It made me think of something a friend said back in high school. There was this girl - an ugly girl by any definition. Fat, unattractive, not really nice...and she started smoking to hang with the cool crowd. My friend shook his head, looked at the cigarette and the girl and said, "That's just more shit on the pile."

Cruel, perhaps. But apt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home