Thursday, February 02, 2006

Democracy in Action

Among the myriad fascinating folks I 've been lucky enough to know in my life is one fine young man by the name of Dave Meslin. Mez is a social activist in the best sense of the word, having founded The Toronto Public Space Committee.

Now, at the tender age of 31, Mez is stepping down and gearing up for the upcoming Toronto municipal election. These local votes tend to be oft-ignored (eg a 38% turnout last time!) which is a bit ironic since it's probably the most impact you can have on your day to day life.

Rather than backing a candidate, the new initiative (which bears the somewhat uncool name "City Idol."
If you're not in a ward with some long-time councillor who always wins, you actually have a shot and at $87,500 plus expense account and other perks, it's a sweet gig if you can get it. Of course, the pre-requisite is to actually CARE and, more than anything, that's what the City Idol intiative is out there. Beyond running there are all sorts of other ways you can get involved. Go dig it's vibe and get out there.


Democracy WORKS folks.
Just look at "Palestine" and all of Canada except for Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto.

Note: It has been brought to my attention that I do not actually live in Toronto anymore. For the one person who stumbles on this website from elsewhere, I actually live in Vaughan which is (ironically?) dubbed "The City ABOVE Toronto." I live about five minutes from the border so I can still stick my nose in. Vaughan is not a bastion of democracy but it's an election year too (hence only 3.2% tax hike!) so I'll certainly chip in any choice nuggets if something happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home